Friday, March 25, 2011

2.5 V Communication

I used FaceTime last night for the first time. A guy I work with has an iPhone 4 and even though he’s more refined and older than I, he wanted to see it work too, so when I called him last night, he was happy to call me back (as he was apparently in his underwear when I called the first time… certainly a downside to FaceTime) it took a few tries, apparently he didn’t have his Wi-Fi enabled.

 

It’s a pretty neat tool, and even though he and I didn’t look at each other hardly at all, I got to see his huge flatscreen mounted over the fireplace and he got to see my 13” GoldStar sitting on the accent table, my kids, my wife, my back deck.

 

Even when the novelty of showing each other the homes we’ve never been in had worn off, it was still more interesting than just a phone call.

 

I haven’t yet decided if it requires more engagement/attention, or if it hampers the quality of your conversation. It’s more than 2V communication, but not quite 3V, so I’ll give it a 2.5V.   It was just a test call anyway, so my hopes were met in less than 1 second when I saw him on my phone.

That’s a pretty neat trick.

No comments: